Inspiration from Dale Carnegie
Estimated Lesson Time: 2 minutes
Dale Carnegie (1888–1955) was a pioneer in public speaking and personality development. Dale Carnegie influenced millions of people and helped define the industry now known as “self-help.”
Success begins with failure. Dale failed at almost everything he did including farming, teaching, sales, acting and novel writing. His persistence in pursuing his passion eventually led him to write “How to Win Friends and Influence People,” which to date has sold over 30 million copies worldwide.
Success is having self-confidence. Dale’s success philosophy centers on building and reinforcing self-confidence. His career began by teaching a public speaking course at a local YMCA. When the YMCA was hesitant about giving him the salary of $2 per night, he had enough confidence in himself to suggest he work on commission instead. He was soon making $30 per night.
Success is knowing how to deal with people. “When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic. We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudices and motivated by pride and vanity.”
Success is having a positive influence on others. Over 50 million copies of his books have sold and have been translated into just about every language. His training courses, which are still thriving today, have trained over 7 million people.
Success is learning from others. Mr. Carnegie developed his success philosophy by studying people who he admired most. His books include many stories about Abe Lincoln, Ben Franklin, Andrew Carnegie (no relation), and others.
Success is taking chances. “Take a chance! All life is a chance. The man who goes furthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare.”
Success is overcoming fears. Carnegie was very shy, which is quite a handicap to a professional public speaker. However, he believed in confronting his fears and not being discouraged by initial failures. “Do the thing you fear to do and keep on doing it... that is the quickest and surest way ever yet discovered to conquer fear.”
Success is acting on opportunity. Dale wrote his best seller initially because, at the time, there wasn’t a textbook on which he could rely.
Success is making the world a better place. “You have it easily in your power to increase the sum total of this world’s happiness now. How? By giving a few words of sincere appreciation to someone who is lonely or discouraged. Perhaps you will forget tomorrow the kind words you say today, but the recipient may cherish them over a lifetime.”
[Sources: http://www.biography.com, http://www.dale-carnegie.com, Investor’s Business Daily, Oct 24, 2001]
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll is the Enhanced Version of this Course - 366 Days To Greater Personal, Professional, and Financial Success. These lessons but with videos, narrated slides, assignments, and quiz questions. For the instructor-evaluated version, Bo is there for you each day!
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting / Life Coaching. Schedule your complimentary 15-minute evaluation coaching session with Bo.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)