Building the Perfect You
Estimated Lesson Time: 2 minutes
I remember playing video games that let the players choose their character. Each available character has strengths and weaknesses, yet all the characters are equal overall. For example, in one game, I would choose the bear at times, who’s very strong but tends to be very slow. Other times, I would choose a character named “Lee” who was very fast, but not that strong. In real life, we all have our strengths and weaknesses, but unlike these video games, by no means are we all equal. In real life, we have the ability to maximize our strengths and minimize our weaknesses. All it takes is conscious effort and awareness.
For the purpose of this lesson, assume that your actions, behaviors, and thoughts make you who you are today since you have a certain degree of control over these. Also, understand that I use the word “perfect” loosely, knowing that perfection is, for the most part, unattainable. Building the perfect you is about consciously adopting empowering qualities and abandoning the negative qualities you have subconsciously adopted over the years. These qualities come in the form of
- words (expressions, sayings, vulgarities)
Who are you? Think about those people in your past and present who have been an influence to you: family, friends, teachers, spiritual leaders, actors, and even world leaders. Can’t you see some of their qualities in yourself? Parents are so concerned with their children being negatively influenced by their peers, yet as adults do not realize that they are influenced in the same way. Being influenced by others is not something one “grows out of.” Once you are consciously aware of this influencing process, you can begin by “rebuilding” yourself by changing your actions, behaviors, and thoughts. Then, start adopting the positive qualities from those you admire most.
We are all, to some degree, a product of our environment. Subconsciously we have become like those who have been an influence to us in our lives. We do not have to accept this as who we are—we can choose to change who we have become and start becoming the person we really want to be. Do not let habit and adversity to personal change get in the way of your success. Take the time and make the effort to build the perfect you.
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll is the Enhanced Version of this Course - 366 Days To Greater Personal, Professional, and Financial Success. These lessons but with videos, narrated slides, assignments, and quiz questions. For the instructor-evaluated version, Bo is there for you each day!
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting / Life Coaching. Schedule your complimentary 15-minute evaluation coaching session with Bo.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)