Positive Mental Attitude
Estimated Lesson Time: 4 minutes
One of the few things we have a great sense of control over is our attitude. When faced with adversity, we can choose to focus on the negative in the situation or the positive. A positive mental attitude, or PMA, is something everyone can adopt with a little practice. The benefits of a PMA are beyond comprehension, and according to many achievers, a significant factor in their success.
A positive mental attitude is seeing the benefits, opportunities, and good in situations rather than the setbacks, problems, and bad. More important, it is focusing on this positive and using it to your advantage. Having a PMA is asking how something can be done rather than saying it can’t be done. It is the driving force behind persistence and perseverance.
There is a belief that nothing in this world is “good” or “bad,” but rather everything is balanced, and it is only our perception that makes good and bad. Whether you believe that to be true or not, it is hard to debate that perception and attitude have much to do with how we view the world.
Shortly after adopting a positive mental attitude you will find more opportunities, successes, and “good luck” in your life than ever before. The main reason for this is not some mystical force, but has to do with focus and perception. PMA is a snowball effect that, once begun, builds and grows stronger with each positive event in your life. Conversely, negative thought does the same, which is why it can be very difficult for negative people to change.
The list of benefits of adopting a positive mental attitude goes on, however, one of the most compelling reasons for adopting a PMA is that it is the major part of having an attractive personality. Most people do not like to be around negative people. A positive mental attitude shows in everything you say and do from casual conversation to your performance at work. A PMA will help you in just about anything you do including increasing your income, being promoted at work, getting a new job, and in strengthening your relationships. With these kinds of benefits, why would anyone choose negativity?
Developing a positive mental attitude, like everything else, takes practice to master. Here are some suggestions to help you build your PMA.
- Scrutinize every event in your life that appears negative and look for the positive. Make a written list if you have to of all the good that resulted from the negative event or situation. Do NOT give up until your list of positives is equal to or greater than the negative. After forcing yourself to do this for a while, this thought process will happen instantaneously.
- Surround yourself with positive people. Negativity is even more contagious than the common cold. It spreads like a wildfire that is out of control and the best way to avoid it is to stay out of its path. However, I am not a believer in ditching those you spend time with unless necessary. Instead, be extra positive when around these people and watch it “rub off” onto them. You can also start spending more time with positive people and less time with those whom you find negative. The right on-line communities, such as the YearToSuccess.com online community is a place to meet those who share the same positive mental attitude goals.
- Read and listen to positive, motivational and inspirational material. Bookstores and libraries have a wide selection; you just need to know where to look.
- Avoid the morning news and news before bedtime. It is often morbid and depressing. Instead start and end your day with inspirational music or just good conversation (even if with yourself!)
- If you catch yourself thinking negatively or especially projecting a negative attitude STOP IMMEDIATELY, take a deep breath, and do everything in the first suggestion.
With a positive mental attitude on your side, you will find yourself seeing the good in situations that you would have otherwise missed. This will improve your quality of life and the lives of those around you. A PMA will certainly bring you one giant leap closer to success.
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll is the Enhanced Version of this Course - 366 Days To Greater Personal, Professional, and Financial Success. These lessons but with videos, narrated slides, assignments, and quiz questions. For the instructor-evaluated version, Bo is there for you each day!
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting / Life Coaching. Contact Bo any time by e-mail, Skype, or phone to discuss your business ideas or personal success goals.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)