Inspiration from John H. Johnson
Estimated Lesson Time: 2 minutes
John H. Johnson (1918–2005) was CEO and chairman of Johnson Publishing company. John H. Johnson rose from the welfare rolls of the depression to become the most successful black businessman in American history; the founder of EBONY, and JET magazines; a member of the FORBES 400.
Success is actively seeking opportunity. Like many African-American people living in the south in the 1930’s, the Johnson’s heard that there were more opportunities in the north and made the move.
Success is seeking knowledge and inspiration. Mr. Johnson was said to have read and been inspired by the writings of success authors since he was a teenager; including the works of Dale Carnegie.
Success is doing your best because you never know who may be watching. Mr. Johnson proved to be an excellent student in high school. Because of his achievements, in 1936, Mr. Johnson was invited to speak at a dinner held by the Urban League. The President of the Supreme Liberty Life Insurance Company was so impressed with Mr. Johnson’s speech that he offered him a job and a scholarship to attend college part-time.
Success is taking risks. Mr. Johnson ended up borrowing $500 from the Citizens Loan Corporation to start Johnson Publishing, using his mother’s furniture as collateral.
Success is a direct result of helping others. Mr. Johnson’s magazine, then called Negro Digest, was a magazine for giving hope to others, by documenting stories of successful African-Americans.
Success is modeling success. Modeled after Life and Look, Mr. Johnson’s magazine aimed to tell the story of Black America in words and pictures.
Success is persistence. Mr. Johnson’s persistence helped him to get the then first lady Eleanor Roosevelt to write an article for his magazine. The sensation this article created caused the magazine’s circulation to double almost overnight.
Success is knowing how to influence people. “When I go in to see people—and I sell an occasional ad now—I never say, ’Help me because I am black’ or ’Help me because I am a minority.’ I always talk about what we can do for them...”
Success is loving what you do. At age 85 in 2003, Mr. Johnson was still the active chairman of Johnson Publishing. “Retirement is not in this company’s vocabulary. If you are well and able to work, you can stay at the company and that’s what I plan to do.” And he did.
[Sources: http://www.johnsonpublishing.com, http://www.howard.edu]
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll is the Enhanced Version of this Course - 366 Days To Greater Personal, Professional, and Financial Success. These lessons but with videos, narrated slides, assignments, and quiz questions. For the instructor-evaluated version, Bo is there for you each day!
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting / Life Coaching. Schedule your complimentary 15-minute evaluation coaching session with Bo.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)