Inspiration from Arthur M. Blank
Estimated Lesson Time: 2 minutes
Arthur M. Blank (1942–) is the co-founder of The Home Depot, which is the world’s largest home improvement retailer and is the second largest retailer in the United States.
Success is not something into which one is born. Arthur Blank was born in Queens, New York in 1942 and with his parents and brother shared a series of one-bedroom apartments.
Success is having entrepreneurial spirit. In his college years, Arthur launched his own landscaping company, laundry business, and even found time to babysit on the side.
Success is moving onward and upward. In 1978, Arthur Blank and Bernard Marcus (other co-founder of The Home Depot) were fired from the Handy Dan home improvement chain where they were working at the time. This was the event that led to their creation of The Home Depot.
Success is brainstorming. The idea for the Home Depot was mapped out on a napkin by Arthur and Bernie at their favorite coffee shop.
Success often means having to take a step backward in order to take a giant leap forward. When the first three Home Depot stores were opened in Atlanta in 1979, they lost nearly one million dollars.
Success is innovation. The Home Depot has been incredibly successful due to some of the innovations it has brought to the marketplace, such as warehouse-sized stores with large inventories, very low prices, and exceptional customer service provided by skilled professionals.
Success is making a difference. Blank believes in the importance of making a difference—professionally and personally. In addition to the company’s financial success, during his 23 years with The Home Depot the company donated more than $113 million to communities, and Home Depot associates provided hundreds of thousands of hours of personal volunteer time.
Success is keeping fit. Arthur is a strong believer in work-life balance; he still makes time daily for working out and remains an avid runner.
[Sources: http://www.homedepot.com, http://www.zeromillion.com, http://www.lemonadestories.com, http://www.cba.gsu.edu]
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll is the Enhanced Version of this Course - 366 Days To Greater Personal, Professional, and Financial Success. These lessons but with videos, narrated slides, assignments, and quiz questions. For the instructor-evaluated version, Bo is there for you each day!
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting / Life Coaching. Schedule your complimentary 15-minute evaluation coaching session with Bo.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)