Inspiration from Elon Musk
Estimated Lesson Time: 2 minutes (self-evaluated option) / less than a minute (instructor-evaluated option)
Elon Reeve Musk (1971–) is a business magnate and investor.
Success is being a visionary. “There have to be reasons that you get up in the morning and you want to live. Why do you want to live? What's the point? What inspires you? What do you love about the future? If the future does not include being out there among the stars and being a multi-planet species, I find that incredibly depressing.”
Success is finding inspiration from others. When Musk was considering the Tesla electric car, he thought of the criticism Henry Ford received for his car. “When Henry Ford made cheap, reliable cars, people said, ‘Nah, what’s wrong with a horse?’ That was a huge bet he made, and it worked.”
Success is persistence. Musk believes in the importance of persistence, stating that “…you should not give up unless you are forced to give up.”
Success is knowing that sometimes “magic” is really just advanced technology. “If you go back a few hundred years, what we take for granted today would seem like magic-being able to talk to people over long distances, to transmit images, flying, accessing vast amounts of data like an oracle. These are all things that would have been considered magic a few hundred years ago.”
Success is sometimes starting small and growing from there. Elon started his entrepreneurial journey as a young child. At the age of 12, he sold a self-made video game called “Blastar” to a magazine for $500. In 1995, he founded a company called Zip2, that was later sold to Compaq Computer for $307 million.
Success is turning dreams into reality. Elon Musk, being a fan of space, wanted to privatize his own version of NASA. His company, SpaceX, which was founded in 2012, plans to send the first crew to Mars in 2024.
Success is being an optimist. Musk, with the exception of his view that artificial intelligence will destroy humanity, tends to be an optimist. “You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great, and that's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about.”
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll is the Enhanced Version of this Course - 366 Days To Greater Personal, Professional, and Financial Success. These lessons but with videos, narrated slides, assignments, and quiz questions. For the instructor-evaluated version, Bo is there for you each day!
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting / Life Coaching. Schedule your complimentary 15-minute evaluation coaching session with Bo.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)