Estimated Lesson Time: 2 minutes
After I had sold Adgrafix, my wife and I started the search for our dream summer home. After looking at dozens of homes, we started to become discouraged that our dream home was not out there. However, one day while riding our bikes in our favorite summer vacation spot, we found our dream home. The only problem was, the house was not for sale. We decided not to let a little thing such as that stop us. We wrote a quick note expressing our interest on a napkin we had, and then placed it in the screen door of the house. Two weeks later, we received a call from the homeowner’s real estate broker, and a month later the home was ours. For many wonderful years, my family and I have cherished the time we spent together in our dream summer home. If we had never asked the former owner if he were interested in selling his home, the home would never have been ours to enjoy.
A common characteristic of successful individuals is the ability, confidence, and courage to ask for what they want. Successful salespeople ask for the sale rather than waiting for the prospect to ask how to buy. Successful students ask questions about what they do not understand rather than just accepting the information presented. Successful singles ask for dates rather than stay at home and think about being on one. Successful people understand a basic, but all too overlooked truth: you must ask for things you want; very rarely will they just be given to you.
Why doesn’t everyone ask for things they want? The most common reason is the fear of rejection, which will be covered in detail in a future lesson. The second most common reason is that people assume others know what they want. The fact is, most of us are consumed with our own thoughts and desires and are not always thinking about what other people may want. This is not necessarily being egocentric; it is just being human. If you want something from someone, you can never really be sure the other person knows what you want unless you ask the other person for it.
When it comes to asking for what you want, don’t hold back. Those who are “lucky” in life simply ask for things they want more often. Do not fear rejection; have the confidence to ask for what you want. It is a simple but powerful truth of success: those who ask more often receive more.
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll is the Enhanced Version of this Course - 366 Days To Greater Personal, Professional, and Financial Success. These lessons but with videos, narrated slides, assignments, and quiz questions. For the instructor-evaluated version, Bo is there for you each day!
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting / Life Coaching. Schedule your complimentary 15-minute evaluation coaching session with Bo.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)