Estimated Lesson Time: 2 minutes
At the beginning of the movie, What About Bob?, the highly neurotic and troubled Bob (played by Bill Murray) visits Dr. Leo Marvin (Richard Dreyfuss) for help with his troubles. Dr. Marvin prescribes his own best seller book, Baby Steps, which is about breaking down the apparently insurmountable problems into small, achievable goals. While this movie is fictional, the concept behind Baby Steps is very real and a great way to approach your goals and life’s challenges.
A perfect example of baby steps in action is our on-line course with hundreds lessons to read, about 1000 action steps to complete, over 1000 quiz questions to answer and an average of about 180 hours of study. If you were to print out each day of the course and put it into a book, it would be thicker than the average yellow-pages book with over 1000 pages of pure content. My reason for telling you all this is certainly not to turn you off from the course (or the book), but to show you how around 30 minutes a day is much more surmountable than 180 hours of study. By breaking down the very large goal of taking a 366 day course in personal achievement into single days, our on-line membership increases because members believe they can accomplish the small daily goals.
What about becoming a millionaire? Do you find it hard to believe that you can ever become a millionaire? After all, the most you ever had was a few thousand dollars saved up. Well, what about creating a product that you can sell for a net profit of $10? Can you sell about 100 of these products per day for the next three years? How about just 50 products a day for the next six years? Either way, you will be a millionaire.
The easiest way to overcome the mental limits we impose on ourselves is to take “baby steps.” Break the goal down into manageable targets that you believe 100% in your mind you can reach. If you do not truly believe you can reach these targets, then break the goal up into smaller steps or increase the timeline for completion.
The next time you are faced with a problem that seems too large for you to handle, or a goal too bold to believe you can accomplish, think of Bill Murray literally taking baby steps to the elevator saying, “Baby step to the elevator.” Who knows, in addition to tackling your problem or achieving your goal, you may just smile as well. :)
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll is the Enhanced Version of this Course - 366 Days To Greater Personal, Professional, and Financial Success. These lessons but with videos, narrated slides, assignments, and quiz questions. For the instructor-evaluated version, Bo is there for you each day!
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting / Life Coaching. Schedule your complimentary 15-minute evaluation coaching session with Bo.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)