How To Lose a JOB in 10 Days
Estimated Lesson Time: 5 minutes
Not too long ago a movie came out called How To Lose a Guy In 10 Days. I know it sounds like a bit of a “chic flick,” but it’s not. It is a hilarious movie about the more common things women do to turn men away in relationships. So in the spirit of fun, I chose to write this lesson in the same style of what NOT to do, but instead of relationships, this is about how to lose a job. So if you are interested in getting fired, or if you are interested in learning what NOT to do to keep your job, read on.
In today’s job market, jobs are competitive, and it is generally easier for employers to find good employees than for employees to find good jobs. If you are one of the persistent individuals that have made it into a position that you really enjoy, it is up to you to keep your job. If you are truly an asset to the company, the chances are that no recession, cutback, or takeover will cause you to lose your job. What will cause you to lose your job is doing one or more of the many things the average employee does every day. So here we go...
How to lose a job in 10 days (begin sarcasm)
- Be irresponsible. Don’t do things when you say you are going to do them, make promises and don’t keep them, forget things, keep your schedule in your head, don’t bother writing things down, and don’t bother returning messages. After all, with so many starving children in the world, does it really matter that you miss a few assignments?
- Don’t listen. Just because your body has to be at an important meeting, it does not mean your mind has to be there. Drift off into la-la land where you are sunning on a tropical beach. The chances are someone else at the meeting was listening, and you can ask them what it was about. If asked a direct question in the meeting, simply answer, “I’ll have to get back to you on that one.” It is a safe answer that will work about 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time just blame your irrelevant answer on some medication that you have recently taken.
- Treat your co-workers with envy and resentment. Your co-workers are really all out to get you. It is a big conspiracy against you and only you. Everyone is talking about you behind your back. Those below you all want your job and those above you want to see someone else in your job.
- Make excuses for everything. Buy a book on excuses and keep it handy. As long as you have a good excuse, you will never have to work another day in your life. Don’t only play the blame game, but win it as well. Nothing is ever your fault, but even when you think it is, blame someone or something else.
- Do the bare minimum. If your company really wanted you to do more than the bare minimum, they would pay you more. Do just what you think is enough not to get fired.
- Lack self-confidence. When asked to do something say, “Are you serious?” or “I don’t think I can do that.” It is also a good idea to ask your boss at least once a day if they have any plans for letting you go.
- Take your personal frustrations to work with you. Have problems on the homefront? Don’t take it out on your family, take it out on your customers and co-workers instead. Chances are, they deserve it anyway.
- Criticize everything. Nobody really knows anything at your company besides you. If everyone did things the way you think they should be done, everyone would be happy, and the company would be perfect. Tell everyone how they should be doing their jobs, shoot down any ideas not proposed by you. If you do not like the way something is being done, tell everyone in the most negative way possible.
- Maintain an unattractive personality. Be negative, never smile or laugh, don’t be friendly with anyone unless there is something in it for you. Annoy people when you get the chance. Talk about your problems and all the evil in the world.
- Despise your job. Follow the law of nature—leisure time is for fun and work time is for pain and boredom. If you do enjoy your job, you are really not working so you really should not be paid.
Losing a job is not difficult; it is maintaining a job that is the challenge. However, with the right attitude and strong human relationship skills, you can have a greater sense of security in any job you choose. Just DON’T follow the advice above! :)
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll is the Enhanced Version of this Course - 366 Days To Greater Personal, Professional, and Financial Success. These lessons but with videos, narrated slides, assignments, and quiz questions. For the instructor-evaluated version, Bo is there for you each day!
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting / Life Coaching. Schedule your complimentary 15-minute evaluation coaching session with Bo.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)