Time Mastery: Part 2
Estimated Lesson Time: 3 minutes
Yesterday we introduced the concept of time mastery and focused on time management. Today, we will explore time mastery techniques used by those who want to do more than squeeze an extra hour out of their day. Making use of these techniques and principles will allow you the time for the pursuit of your life purpose and other goals.
Here are the six techniques and principles that take over where most traditional time management skills leave off.
- Get assistance. How much is your time worth? Can you be paying an assistant or delegating authority to someone else on some of your activities? The successful individual knows that others’ labor is one of the best investments that can be made.
- Do multiple things at once. The mind is much more powerful and capable than most people think. It is possible to overlap some of your activities and get twice as much done in the same period. For example, you can listen to educational material or enjoy a good audiobook while either driving to work or exercising. Look at your day’s schedule and get creative.
- Get up earlier. You can read 100 medical papers on sleep and the human body written by 100 top scientists and doctors and you will come to the same conclusion... nobody knows for certain how much sleep we need. The consensus is, our own bodies will let us know. So get up an hour earlier each day and see how your body responds. That’s an extra 45 eight-hour work days a year or 365 more hours you can spend on your hobby, family, goals, and/or life purpose.
- Don’t confuse relaxing with wasting time. If you get relaxation from spinning in your chair then trying to walk a straight line, playing a game or two of Solitaire, or blowing spit bubbles, then do it! The body and mind need relaxing activities throughout the day. However, make sure these activities are for relaxation and not for procrastination.
- Get exercise. While a good workout schedule may take anywhere from 1 to 12 hours of your week, it will allow you to be much more productive. It is like a race car stopping for fuel and a tire change; if it kept going, it would go farther in the short run but very soon slow down or just stop. Like a race car, your body is a complex machine that needs to be fueled and properly maintained for peak performance.
- Push yourself. The reason most people fail to reach even a fraction of their potential is that they do not push themselves hard enough. We end conversations with “Don’t work too hard!” or “Take it easy!” and this is exactly what the average person does. The average person goes on frequent coffee breaks, socializes when they should be working and “takes it easy.” The other two percent of the population (those who consider themselves successful) get their high not by caffeine, but by accomplishment. They save social banter for more appropriate times and don’t “take it easy.” They work harder and smarter than the rest of the population and are rewarded for it.
Here is the big secret of time mastery: once your life purpose activities begin to replace your daily “have to” activities, your motivation increases, your work becomes your play, relaxation is obtained from your work, and productivity will increase exponentially! Don’t just be a manager of time, be a master of time.
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll is the Enhanced Version of this Course - 366 Days To Greater Personal, Professional, and Financial Success. These lessons but with videos, narrated slides, assignments, and quiz questions. For the instructor-evaluated version, Bo is there for you each day!
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting / Life Coaching. Schedule your complimentary 15-minute evaluation coaching session with Bo.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)