Inspiration from Walt Disney
Estimated Lesson Time: 2 minutes
Walt Disney (1901-1966) was the creator of Mickey Mouse and founder of the Disneyland® and Walt Disney World® Theme Parks.
Success begins with imagination. Disney is known as a pioneer, an innovator and the possessor of one of the most fertile imaginations the world has ever known.
Success begins with a dream. In 1923, Walt Disney left Kansas City for Hollywood with nothing but a few drawing materials, $40 in his pocket, and a completed animated live-action film.
Success is solving problems. Later in his career, Disney turned his attention toward the problem of improving the quality of urban life in America. He personally directed the design of an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow or EPCOT®.
Success begins with passion. “Disneyland is a work of love. We didn’t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.”
Success is having vision. In 1965, Disney directed the purchase of 43 square miles of virgin land—twice the size of Manhattan—in the center of the state of Florida. Here he master-planned a whole Disney world of entertainment to include a new amusement theme park, a motel-hotel resort vacation center, and his Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. After more than seven years of master planning and preparation, including 52 months of actual construction, Walt Disney World opened to the public as scheduled on October 1, 1971.
Success is overcoming adversity. “All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.”
Success is being optimistic. Disney is one of history’s best-known optimists. His visions and dreams for a brighter future took shape in Epcot Center, which opened on October 1, 1982. • “The era we are living in today is a dream coming true.” • “I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.”
Success is thinking huge. “Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland...the blessing of size. There’s enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine.”
Success is welcoming competition. “I have been up against tough competition all my life. I wouldn’t know how to get along without it.”
[Source: http://disney.go.com, http://www.biography.com]
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll is the Enhanced Version of this Course - 366 Days To Greater Personal, Professional, and Financial Success. These lessons but with videos, narrated slides, assignments, and quiz questions. For the instructor-evaluated version, Bo is there for you each day!
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting / Life Coaching. Contact Bo any time by e-mail, Skype, or phone to discuss your business ideas or personal success goals.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)