Inspiration from J. Willard Marriott
Estimated Lesson Time: 2 minutes
J. Willard “Bill” Marriott, Sr. (1900–1985) was the founder of what is now Marriott International, Inc., a leading worldwide hospitality company with more than 2,600 lodging properties located around the world.
Success is learning to rely on your own judgment and initiative. “My father gave me the responsibility of a man,” said Marriott as an adult. “He would tell me what he wanted done, but never said much about how to do it. It was up to me to find out for myself.”
Success begins with determination. Determined to get an education, Marriott worked summers selling woolen goods, eventually building up a sales force of 45 college students who sold in seven states.
Success often has modest beginnings. In 1927, Marriott successfully launched a small restaurant called “Hot Shoppes,” which over the years expanded into a multi-billion dollar empire.
Success is seeing opportunity in any economy. The Depression years fueled a tremendous ingenuity in Marriott. He recognized the success of a low-cost restaurant and the failure of luxury restaurants.
Success is growth and expansion. Through the years, Marriott expanded his business from his single humble restaurant to include more locations, airlines, hotels, food chain acquisitions, theme parks, and cruise ships.
Success is loving what you do. From the opening of Marriott’s first business in 1927, until his death 58 years later, J. Willard Marriott rarely rested. Whether adding locations, perfecting procedures, or expanding into new enterprises, Marriott breathed, ate, lived, and dreamed about his business.
Success is paying attention to the details. “It’s the little things that make the big things possible. Only close attention to the fine details of any operation makes the operation first class.”
Success is living life to the fullest. “A man should keep on being constructive, and do constructive things. He should take part in the things that go on in this wonderful world. He should be someone to be reckoned with. He should live life and make every day count, to the very end. Sometimes it’s tough. But that’s what I’m going to do.”
[Sources: http://www.horatioalger.com, http://www.marriott.com, http://www.hrm.uh.edu]
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll is the Enhanced Version of this Course - 366 Days To Greater Personal, Professional, and Financial Success. These lessons but with videos, narrated slides, assignments, and quiz questions. For the instructor-evaluated version, Bo is there for you each day!
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting / Life Coaching. Schedule your complimentary 15-minute evaluation coaching session with Bo.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)