Inspiration from Jerry Seinfeld
Estimated Lesson Time: 2 minutes
Jerry Seinfeld (1954–) is a comedian and television actor in his long-running series “Seinfeld.”
Success begins with an interest. Seinfeld became fascinated by comedians as a child while watching them on television and realizing their entire job was to make people laugh. He developed a keen interest in performing while in college. He graduated with a bachelor’s degree in communications and theater.
Success is often about rough beginnings. Jerry began his career working in New York comedy clubs, often without pay, while holding a number of odd jobs.
Success is knowing that persistence pays off. After much time in the comedy circuit, Jerry got his first big break when comedic legend Rodney Dangerfield saw his act and invited him to feature on his HBO special.
Success is having others believe in you. In the early days of Jerry’s career, another comedic legend, Jackie Mason, caught his act and told Jerry, “It makes me sick. You’re going to be such a big hit.” These inspiring words stayed with Jerry for years.
Success is the result of an earlier failure or unfortunate event. Jerry appeared in several episodes of TV’s “Benson.” The producers of the show did not agree on his character development so they “let him go.” This was so devastating to Jerry that he vowed never to do a sitcom again unless he had more control. That vow led him to partner with his friend Larry David to create one of the most successful sitcoms of all time.
Success is not accepting failure. The pilot for “Seinfeld” did not test well, in fact NBC “hated” it. However, with persistence, it began with a very slow season, followed by a much better one.
Success is doing what you love, despite the money. After almost a decade, Seinfeld called it quits at the pinnacle of his sitcom. Despite the many lucrative TV and movie offers, Jerry went back to stand up, once again, touring the local New York clubs and often performing for free.
[Sources: http://www.biography.com, http://www.jerryseinfeld.us ]
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll is the Enhanced Version of this Course - 366 Days To Greater Personal, Professional, and Financial Success. These lessons but with videos, narrated slides, assignments, and quiz questions. For the instructor-evaluated version, Bo is there for you each day!
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting / Life Coaching. Contact Bo any time by e-mail, Skype, or phone to discuss your business ideas or personal success goals.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)