An Extra Hour a Day
Estimated Lesson Time: 2 minutes
What would you do with an extra hour a day? Learn a new language? Start a business? Write a book? Learn a new skill? If you have the motivation and desire to use this extra hour, it can be yours.
Most people are under the impression that they need “eight hours a day” of sleep because this is what they believe “the average person” requires. The fact is, each of us is different and requires different amounts of sleep. Many studies have been done on sleep and sleep disorders, only to conclude that there is no set standard number of hours of sleep per person.
Ironically, the symptoms of not getting enough sleep are very similar to those of getting too much sleep. So why not err on the side of not getting enough sleep and see what your body and mind are capable of? What if you found that with 5 hours of sleep per night, you were at your sharpest during the day with the least amount of drowsiness—and you slept better at night? What would you do with an extra three hours a day?
I have personally experienced sleeping patterns based on motivation—or my mental state. When I am motivated and highly involved in a project, I am awakened each morning around 4am with a burning desire to work on the project. During these times, my mind remains sharp, I have plenty of energy throughout the day, and I sleep like a baby at night—for about 6 hours each night. During times when I am less involved in projects, I sleep around 8 hours.
I have also found at times when I deprive myself of my required sleep, a mid-day, 15-30 minute “cat nap” in my desk chair does wonders for both my physical and mental state.
If there were ever a way to “buy more time,” this is it. However, time is not for sale; it is yours for the taking. What you need to give in return is passion and motivation to get up the extra hour or two earlier—getting up to do household chores won’t do. Give this a try by adjusting your body at a pace it can handle. Do this for the next 50 years, and you will add 2-3 years to your conscious life.
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll is the Enhanced Version of this Course - 366 Days To Greater Personal, Professional, and Financial Success. These lessons but with videos, narrated slides, assignments, and quiz questions. For the instructor-evaluated version, Bo is there for you each day!
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting / Life Coaching. Contact Bo any time by e-mail, Skype, or phone to discuss your business ideas or personal success goals.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)