The Subconscious Mind
Estimated Lesson Time: 3 minutes
At one time or another, we have all heard of the subconscious mind yet very few people understand how to use it. Many people even disregard its existence because they cannot see it, touch it, hear it, smell it, or taste it. The successful individual not only knows of its existence, but knows how to “program” the subconscious mind for success.
Our mind, as we know it, can be said to consist of two levels of activity: conscious and subconscious. Your conscious mind is where we find the logical, reasoning portion of your mind. It uses the five major senses to gather information and come to logical conclusions by both deductive and inductive reasoning. To be brief, just about everything we know of as “thinking” is done with the conscious mind.
Here is the really interesting part—most of your mental activity is subconscious. This is the “work done” that you are not even aware of. The subconscious works 24 hours a day with no breaks. It is the part of the mind that controls your autonomic bodily functions such as breathing, digestion, and the beating of your heart. It is the same part of the mind that takes over activities once they become “second nature” to you, like riding a bike or doing simple math.
In terms of success, the subconscious mind is like a computer program that controls our thoughts, habits, beliefs, and convictions. Most people do not like the fact that they can be “programmed” like a computer or a robot, nor do they like the fact that the subconscious mind can control their actions and thoughts. However, we ultimately control our subconscious mind, and we have the ability to reprogram it for success.
Our programming started early in life when our parents, friends, teachers, siblings, TV and media wrote our initial program. These same influences continue to program most people today because most people are not aware of their powerful influence. Advertisers certainly are. A perfect example is beer commercials. They begin with beautiful people frolicking in slow motion on a white sandy beach on a perfect day. The people all appear happy, healthy, successful, and sexy. Then the name of the beer is displayed on screen. Now almost everyone who watches these commercials are reasonable enough to know that drinking beer is not going to bring them all of those things seen in the commercial. So why do they work so well? The subconscious mind cannot reason. It interprets images, words, and feelings literally. The commercials do exactly what the advertisers want them to do—associate positive feelings and images with their products. This is mind programming.
We can program our own subconscious minds for success simply by doing the same things: associate great feelings with all of the things we want from life. Use positive, successful statements when talking and thinking while avoiding negative talk and thought.
Throughout this course, we will be discussing detailed techniques for programming your subconscious mind for success. Understand the power of the subconscious mind, and you will be an expert “programmer” before you know it.
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll is the Enhanced Version of this Course - 366 Days To Greater Personal, Professional, and Financial Success. These lessons but with videos, narrated slides, assignments, and quiz questions. For the instructor-evaluated version, Bo is there for you each day!
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting / Life Coaching. Schedule your complimentary 15-minute evaluation coaching session with Bo.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)