The Words You Use Make All the Difference
Estimated Lesson Time: 2 minutes
The words that come out of your mouth and go through your head have an incredible effect on your actions and behavior. The subconscious mind is known for gravitating toward what you focus on. The same effect holds true for simply saying or thinking of words and expressions. For example, “It can’t be done” is a very powerful statement that stops your mind from presenting you with a solution of how it can be done. The results of rephrasing that statement to “How can it be done?” are nothing short of amazing.
The words you choose make all the difference when it comes to the way others perceive you. Radiate a positive mental attitude and an optimistic personality. Your boss does not want to hear “That’s impossible.” What she wants to hear is “If you assign one more person to assist me, I can not only have this ready by Friday, but I can even have it delivered to the prospect’s office.” If you are in a leadership role, saying, “This will never work” is setting a very poor example. Instead say, “How can we make this work?” and allow the creative juices to start flowing!
Here are just some examples of phrases you should avoid, along with their possible substitutions:
- I can’t do it should be How can it be done?
- It will never work should be How can I make it work?
- Someday I... should be Today (on Tuesday, June 12, or any specific date) I...
- I should have should be Next time I will
- I’ll try should be I will do my best
- I’m no good at... should be I will get better at...
Once you start making a conscious effort to avoiding saying these phrases and limiting yourself, you will no longer think this way either—and vice-versa. The power of using the right words, or perhaps more important, avoiding the wrong words, is astonishing. Put this concept into practice and experience the positive results for yourself.
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll is the Enhanced Version of this Course - 366 Days To Greater Personal, Professional, and Financial Success. These lessons but with videos, narrated slides, assignments, and quiz questions. For the instructor-evaluated version, Bo is there for you each day!
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting / Life Coaching. Contact Bo any time by e-mail, Skype, or phone to discuss your business ideas or personal success goals.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)