Inspiration from Oprah Winfrey
Estimated Lesson Time: 2 minutes
Oprah Winfrey (1954–) is one of the most important figures in popular culture, most well known as the talk show host on her TV show, “Oprah.”
Success is putting the past behind you no matter how terrible. Despite suffering abuse and molestation as a child, Oprah Winfrey found it in herself to be the best she knew she could be, and eventually become one of the most influential people in history (Forbes Top 100).
Success is helping others. In 1994, President Clinton signed the “Oprah Bill,” a law designed to protect children from abuse.
Success is doing it better. In 1986, her show, “The Oprah Winfrey Show” took over Donahue as the nation’s top-rated talk show, even though Donahue pioneered the talk show format.
Success is holding tight to your morals and values, even at the expense of your career. In 1994, when talk shows started to become increasingly trashy and exploitative, Winfrey pledged to keep her show free of tabloid topics. Although her show’s ratings initially fell, Oprah earned the respect of her viewers. This earned respect did more for her career in the long run than by giving in to the public’s demand for daytime TV trash ever will.
Success is having the power to influence. Any book she promotes on her show becomes an instant best seller. Any charity she supports on air sees phenomenal increases in donations. Any industry she condemns on air suffers serious financial losses—as in the beef industry. (Author’s note: If anyone reading this knows Oprah, can you please put in the good word for my book? Gracias.)
Success is diversification. In addition to her huge success with her television show, Oprah owns several businesses, has written several books, made several movies, and publishes her own magazine.
Success is reaching people on a personal level. Oprah is known for her empathy for others. When a guest’s story moves her, she cries and offers the guest a warm embrace.
[Sources: http://www.oprah.com, http://www.biography.com]
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll is the Enhanced Version of this Course - 366 Days To Greater Personal, Professional, and Financial Success. These lessons but with videos, narrated slides, assignments, and quiz questions. For the instructor-evaluated version, Bo is there for you each day!
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting / Life Coaching. Schedule your complimentary 15-minute evaluation coaching session with Bo.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)